<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, September 06, 2008

Random Thought 

Based on their behavior since Sarah Palin was chosen by McCain to be his running mate, it just struck me that the Left's idea of what the "religious right" is all about is pretty similar to Claude Akins' character in the 1960 movie, "Inherit The Wind."

That's pretty funny--a caricature based on a caricature created by Hollywood.

Perhaps I'm being unfair, though. I didn't live in Tennessee in 1925, and I have no idea whether there was a real person on whom the Rev. Jeremiah Brown was based. I do know that as late as the 1950s, when I was growing up, there were a lot more of that kind of preacher (hellfire and brimstone for all you sinners) than there seems to be now. And there are still people who haven't given up on creationism as described in Genesis. But it seems to me that the modern religious Christian conservatives are a lot more into redemption than damnation.

Update 20080909:0910: Corrected date typo. Egad, I'm not that old.

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?