<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, June 28, 2008

Congressman Delahunt and David Addington 

By now anybody who's interested has seen or read about Congressman Bill Delahunt's (D-MA) exchange with David Addington, VP Cheney's Chief of Staff, that was broadcast on C-SPAN last Thursday. I have seen the video, and the following excerpt from CNN is accurate:

Delahunt asked repeatedly whether the topic of waterboarding, a controversial interrogation technique that simulates drowning, ever came up.

Addington replied that he could not discuss that because "al Qaeda may watch C-SPAN."

"Right," Delahunt responded. "Well, I'm sure they are watching, and I'm glad they finally have the chance to see you, Mr. Addington."

"Yeah, I'm sure you're pleased," Addington shot back.

"Given your penchant for being unobtrusive," Delahunt said of Addington's ability to stay behind the scenes.

I rerely write members of Congress about anything, especially when the Member doesn't represent me, because I really don't think it accomplishes anything except to prompt a canned reply. However, I think this is a special case. I sent the following to Mr. Delahunt this morning:

Sir:

I watched your comments to David Addington on the subject of Al Qaeda watching C-SPAN, specifically this remark: "Well, I'm sure they are watching, and I'm glad they finally have the chance to see you, Mr. Addington."

I have also read that you have stated through your spokesperson that it was never your intent to identify Mr. Addington as a target for Al Qaeda, and that you recall saying "I" not "they" in the sentence quoted above.

Assuming the reports of your "explanation" or "clarification" or whatever you characterize it are accurate, I am forced to conclude that you, sir, are a liar, a fool or both, and in any case you are a disgrace to your office, your constituents, and the Congress of the United States. And since it appears you will neither stand by your remark nor apologize for it, you are a coward to boot.

May your term in Congress be short.
Now, I don't think my email will have the slightest effect on Mr. Delahunt. (Leopards don't change their spots, etc., etc.) but it definitely made me feel better.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?