<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, September 06, 2007

Some thoughts on politics 

Item: The scariest thing about the Democrat presidential hopefuls is that Hillary Clinton is the most "normal" one in the bunch, as compared to Democrat presidents of the past (I consider Carter to be an outlier). I don't think Hillary's presidential style would be anywhere near as palatable as her husband's, because it was important to Bill that he be liked by as many people as possible, and that meant he was willing to work with the opposition to some degree. I don't think Hillary cares whether anyone likes her, and I suspect that her true personality would come out only after being inaugurated.

Item: I'm going to establish the "S-head Award," to be bestowed periodically (i.e., whenever I damn well feel like it) upon politicians whose actions or public speeches most exemplify the reason why the term "s**thead" was invented. The first winner is Sen. Charles Schumer (D-NY) for this gem:
And let me be clear, the violence in Anbar has gone down despite the surge, not because of the surge. The inability of American soldiers to protect these tribes from al Qaeda said to these tribes we have to fight al Qaeda ourselves. It wasn't that the surge brought peace here. It was that the warlords took peace here, created a temporary peace here. And that is because there was no one else there protecting. (Thanks to Ed Morrissey for the quote. Go read his commentary on it.)

It is clear on its face that Schumer either has no idea what has been going on in Iraq or, more shamefully, he purposefully made that statement on the floor of the Senate to achieve political advantage. Either way, the American people do not deserve to have a buffoon like him influencing policy and the content of legislation. Only a politician who is 100% confident of being reelected (or is an imbecile) would make a remark like that. What that says about the voters in New York I'm not entirely sure, but I wouldn't take it as a compliment.

Item: Fred Thompson formally announced last night, stiffing New Hampshire voters for a slot on The Tonight Show. I like Mr. Thompson--he's a good actor, and he seemed to have his head on straight when he was a Senator from Tennessee. And he has said a lot of sensible things during his recent non-candidacy. However, to my knowledge he's never run anything, and I don't know if he's smart enough to surround himself with talented people like Reagan did. As noted here, I being a Senator is almost a disqualifier for being President, but to his credit Thompson left the Senate to return to his acting career. Right now I could live with just about any of the Republican candidates except McCain and Ron Paul, but prefer Giuliani and Romney as the top two. My beef against McCain has nothing to do with a lack of respect or admiration for him, I just don't think he's the right guy for the job. But would I vote for McCain over Hillary or any other Dem? You betcha! If Paul got the nomination, I'd probably stay home and get drunk.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?