Wednesday, January 18, 2006
Here's the nut:
On a nutshell, the DemoWOT understanding is that:
- We were attacked on 9/11 by a criminal organization named al-Qaeda;
- Al-Qaeda consists of a handful of people: bin Laden, Zawahiri, Mullah Omar, and just a few other associates;
- Our primary duty is to round up the masterminds of al-Qaeda, arrest them, and put them on trial;
- Because they're international "criminals," they must be tried by an international body: the International Court of Justice (World Court) at the Hague, Belgium's War Crimes Law, or the International Criminal Court (also at the Hague but distinct from the World Court);
- If found guilty, the masterminds of the 9/11 attacks should be imprisoned, perhaps for life, but not given the death penalty -- because that would "make us no better than they are;"
- Once they have been brought to justice, we can all go home, because the war on terrorism will be over.
We can party like it's (still) 1999!
The crowd that shares this understanding of the GWOT today encompasses virtually every Democrat in a leadership position in either house of Congress, all Democratic presidential aspirants (except Joe Lieberman), and swirls around Chairman Howard Dean and the big supporters (and drivers) of the party, such as Michael Moore, MoveOn.org, George Soros, the Hollywood crowd, and the New York intelligensia; it's about as universal as it's possible to be in a modern political party, rivaling the unity of understanding among the top members of the GOP that lower taxes are good.
There are many other astute observations in the piece. As the saying goes, read the whole thing.
I have long believed something similar about why the antiwar folks--not limited to the Democrats--don't take the Islamonazi threat seriously. While not wishing to lift a finger to go after the bad guys, and in fact going out of their way to defend them, the antiwar types like Michael Moore, Cindy Sheehan and the Kos Kids are at the same time supremely confident that the West, and in particular the United States, will prevail in the end. Nothing else explains why they would support people who, if successful, would purge gays from society by40th floor defenestration, would force all women into burkhas and would sentence to death young women who defend themselves against rapists. May the Lord help us if they ever control the levers of power in our government.
Credit Michelle Malkin for the pointer.