<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, May 16, 2005

A Pox on Thee, Newsweek! 

By now, everyone who can either read or understand a TV news show (and cares to do so) has probably heard about how the weekly news rag Newsweek stepped in its own s--t. Once again, a member of the MSM has made me wish I had a subscription, so I could write an indignant letter to the editors and cancel it. Newsweek joins such (ahem) distinguished organizations as the New York Times, the Los Angeles Times and CBS on my list of undependable news sources.

The blogosphere is abuzz with commentary, and I can't add anything of substance to the comments that are already out there, so I will just link to a few that I found perceptive or illuminating: Glenn Reynolds, Jeff Jarvis, Powerline and Michelle Malkin. I think this excerpt from Jeff Jarvis' post says it all in a nutshell:: UPDATE: In The Times, Kit Seelye says that Newsweek is not retracting:
But Mr. Whitaker said in an interview later: "We're not retracting anything. We don't know for certain what we got wrong."
And neither do you know for certain what, if anything, you got right. That's the problem.


Update 20050516:0950PDT: BTW, Newsweek's "apology" isn't. Editor Mark Whitaker doesn't retract the item, and doesn't admit that their fact-checking sucked. He only "explains" how the story came to be and expresses "... regret that we got any part of our story wrong...."

Update 20050516:1409PDT: Fox News is reporting that Newsweek just retracted the story.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?