<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Voting 

I dropped my daughter off at school and went to vote. The system here (north San Diego County) is a paper ballot (really cardboard, like a greeting card). You fill in the ovals, then the ballot is inserted into an optical reader, which dumps the ballot into a collection box so that a recount can be conducted if necessary.

I live in a pretty upscale area, and there was no hint of anything inappropriate at the polls. Every voting booth (maybe 15-20) was occupied but there was no line. By the time I had checked in, a booth was available. The people were in good spirits all around -- the poll workers were cordial, and the voters were diligent and serious -- nobody was electioneering.

I didn't notice any bumperstickers on any of the cars parked near the polls, so I have no idea which way the tide is running, other than to say that historically this has been a relatively conservative precinct so I suspect Bush will easily carry it. Not that it'll make any difference to the electoral vote. I think California will remain solidly blue and (unfortunately) will re-elect Barbara Boxer to the Senate, notwithstanding the popularity of Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?