<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, September 10, 2004

Irony, Sweet Irony 

Dan Rather appeared on CNN this morning to answer questions raised about the "60 Minutes" story Wednesday night that purported to expose new information about Bush's service with the Texas ANG. Rather said, "I know that this story is true. I believe that the witnesses and the documents are authentic." Additionally, Powerline reports that CBS has issued an email stating that it stands by its story and there will be no investigation. Rather was one of the leaders of the journalistic pack that ran Richard Nixon to ground over Watergate, and if I recall correctly excoriated Nixon on more than one occasion for "stonewalling."

CBS better be right, or it should get out of the news business right now. I've looked at the analyses, the overlays, and the quotes from named document forgery experts and members of the Killian family and I now believe the documents were forged. CBS News is in a world of hurt right now, and the only way they can come out of this with so much as a shred of credibility is to name their sources and experts for the story. Michelle Malkin has a post on whether "journalistic ethics" (perhaps now as much of a joke as "legal ethics" and "military justice" used to be) permit the disclosure of sources who lie to the reporter.

As for myself, I haven't watched CBS News regularly for decades, and haven't watched "60 Minutes" in years. Now I know why.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?