<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, September 30, 2004

The Great Debate: Why It Won't Matter To Me 

I won't be watching the debate tonight -- I have other obligations that deny access to a TV. But it wouldn't matter if I did. I have already said that nothing Kerry can do or say would cause me to vote for him.

Besides the fact that I disagree with him on most policy issues, and I don't believe that all wisdom resides in Washington, and I don't believe that more government is the solution to every problem, and I believe that overtaxing is a sure way to bog down an economy, I have a problem with the man himself. It comes down to trust. I don't believe the man is trustworthy.

Kerry's campaign has now admitted that his "Christmas in Cambodia" tale was a falsehood. His account of his legal career is somewhat overstated, as Beldar has shown (see link below). It is a matter of public record that he sold out his fellow Vietnam veterans in his testimony before the Senate in 1971. It is also a matter of public record that during the negotiations to end the Vietnam war, Kerry traveled to Paris and met with both the North Vietnamese delegation and the Viet Cong delegation, an act that may have violated Federal law against private party negotiations with foreign governments. I won't even go into Kerry's "random walk" tour of his positions on the Iraq war, but it's highly probable that, given enough time, he would express every possible position and nuance on the issue.

Because of all of this, and more, I have come to the conclusion that the man will say anything to get elected, just like Bill Clinton did, but he does it without an iota of the charm that Clinton has. (Speaking of Clinton, someone once said of him that "most people who run for president want to accomplish something; Clinton wants to be something." The same applies to Kerry, in spades.) Kerry's the kind of person I'd rather have as an enemy than as an ally, because I believe he wouldn't hesitate to sell me out if there was enough in it for him.

So I'll regard the replays and commentary on tonight's debate as a form of entertainment that enlightens -- something like watching the History Channel. But it won't change my vote.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?